Scale up your process at the EI/NRCCE. Lease our high bay.
The Energy Institute's National Research Center for Coal and Energy offers the right space needed to test energy, environmental, or advanced manufacturing process at scale. Researchers can take ideas from concept at the laboratory bench to pilot plant testing in the EI/NRCCE High Bay Research Lab.
EI/NRCCE’s high bay is suitable and permitted for both batch and continuous pilot processes
and is ideal for demonstrations of early-stage technologies.
The High Bay Research Lab is located at the west end of the NRCCE building on the Evansdale campus of West Virginia University. Our loading dock and roll-up door provide excellent access to the lab.
The customizable space with a total volume of about 120,600 cubic feet consists of a main level and a mezzanine. Both areas are served by a 10-ton overhead bridge crane on traversing beams. A control room on the main level can house data collection and process control devices. Additional specialized space for storing gas cylinders and non-flammable chemicals is adjacent to the nearby loading dock.
A variety of options for retaining space are available, from joint research proposals
with WVU faculty who have access to the high bay to individual leases of all or
a portion of the space. Flexible terms are available. Pricing starts at $24 per
square foot and includes basic utilities. Alterations or updates and additional
utilities may be available at additional cost. Start-up fees may apply.
High Bay Features
- 120,600 cubic feet
- 24/7 access
- Loading dock
- Storage space
- 10-ton bridge crane
- Flexible terms available
Main floor high bay space housed a pilot plant to recycle produced water from a Marcellus shale gas well in a collaborative research project between the West Virginia Water Research Institute and start-up company, FilterSure.
Once granted 24/7 access to the space to conduct experimentation and research, you
have easy access to amenities including:
• Conference rooms and internet conferencing, as available
- Evansdale Library
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Depository Library (sole patent and trademark resource
center in West Virginia)
Evansdale Crossing• Media Innovation Center, a great venue for meetings
• LaunchLab, one of several WVU entrepreneurship and innovation centers
• Women’s Business Center
• Barnes and Noble book store
• PostNet (copying, printing, shipping, and graphic design service)
All share the same campus with WVU’s Statler College of Engineering and Mineral
Resources, the Davis College of Agriculture, Natural Resources and Design, College of
Creative Arts and College of Physical Activity and Sport Sciences.
Specifications - Main Floor
Gross Available Space (102,600 cubic feet)
• Area: 2,850 sq ft
• Floor: 50 ft x 57 ft
• Height: 36 ft floor to ceiling
Net Usable Space
• Area: ~1,340 sq ft
• Floor: 25 ft x 14 ft expanding to 33.5 ft x 29.5 ft; refer to floor plan
• Height: 30 ft floor to crane hook; ~3 ft can be gained by relocating the
- Floor loading capacity: 250 lbs/sq ft
- 10-ton overhead bridge crane on traversing beams
- Four (4) floor anchors
- Roll-up door, 14 ft wide x 15 ft high, accessing the loading dock
- Concrete loading dock with ramp
- Standard door access at the loading dock
- Internal access via building hallway through doublewide doors
- Three roof hatches available for exhaust plumes
- Two wall-mounted emergency exhaust fans with in-ceiling, motor-operated roof louvers
- Safety shower and eye wash station
- Chemicals are stored with their Safety Data Sheets in dedicated cabinets. Gas cylinders are stored in nearby G11 when not in use. The handling, storage and use of all compressed gases in cylinders is done in accordance with OSHA regulations.
- Environmental control room for data collection and control devices with window
for viewing operations
• City water, city sewerage
• Air @ 100-175 psig
• Steam @ 50 psig
• Natural Gas: none, currently. A standard, .25 psig line passes through the space and a 50 psig Dominion Hope line sits just outside the building with a “High Pressure Gas” line in the space that could be connected to service.
• Power: two 480/277 panels total 625 amps; three 208/120 panels total 425 amps; can be customized for particular experiments. A GenSet generator provides building Life Safety Only support for emergency outages.
• Lighting: 16 4-ft, four-bulb T5 fixtures
- WVU Network: three cores, each comprised of dual Nexus 7010 switches connected w/10GB fiber backbone
- Campus buildings are connected via two 10GB Layer 3 fiber links
- VLAN information and security Access Control Lists
- 10GB internal backbone from the distribution layer to the access layer. Wi-Fi can be installed
- Two separate ISPs each offer 10 Gb/s bandwidth with geographic redundancy ensuring one location will always be available
- 10 Gb/s connection to Internet2 and a 10GB internal Science DMZ
• Floor loading capacity: 250 lbs. /sq. ft.
• 10-ton overhead bridge crane on traversing beams
• Four floor anchors
• Roll-up door, 14 ft. wide x 15 ft. high, accessing the loading dock
• Concrete loading dock with ramp
• Standard door access at the loading dock
• Internal access via building hallway through double-wide doors
• Three roof hatches available for exhaust plumes
• Two, wall mounted, emergency exhaust fans with in-ceiling, motor operated, roof louvers
• Safety shower and eye wash station
• Chemicals are stored with their Safety Data Sheets in dedicated cabinets. Gas cylinders are stored in nearby G11 when not in use. The handling, storage, and use of all compressed gases in cylinders is done in accordance with OSHA regulations.
• Environmental control room for data collection and control
devices with window for viewing operations
10-ton bridge crane traverses two steel beams that run the entire length and width of the ceiling
Window into main space from control room/office.
Emergency exhaust fans and roof hatches.
Loading dock and roll-up door.
Specifications - Mezzanine
The Mezzanine is 18 ft above the main, ground floor laboratory space, accessed by a steel staircase internally or via an 8-ft door that exits to the side of the building.
Gross Available Space (18,000 cubic feet)
• Area: 1,000 sq ft
• Floor: 50 ft x 20 ft
• Height: 18 ft floor to ceiling
Net Usable Space
• Area: ~740 sq ft
• Floor: refer to floor plan. 11 ft floor to crane's hook
• Height: ~3 ft can be gained by relocating the crane
High bay mezzanine where coal-to-liquids experiments were conducted by WVU researchers in collaboration with the Lu ‘An Group.
EI/NRCCE High Bay Regulations
- EI/NRCCE works with the WVU Real Estate Office to create an agreement that complies with State code and WVU Board of Governors policy bulletin 16.
- Terms include a requirement that the collaborator or affiliate/lessor purchase and maintain liability and comprehensive damage insurance during the length of the agreement.
- During negotiations, the collaborator or affiliate/lessor must fully disclose all substances to be used in experiments, including up-to-date Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) information. All must comply with WVU-mandated health and safety protocols and chemical hygiene standards.
- Collaborators and affiliates/lessors are responsible for providing all required safety gear, including hearing and eye protection, and hard hats that meet OSHA standards.
- Changes in processes and chemicals used in experiments require advance approval by the NRCCE chemical hygiene officer and building supervisor.
- Activities and operations that create special hazards or safety risks to WVU employees and students are not permitted.
The WVU Board of Governors is the governing body of WVU. The Higher Education Policy Commission in West Virginia is responsible for developing, establishing and overseeing the implementation of public policy agenda for the state’s four-year colleges and universities.
WVU EI/NRCCE Contacts
For additional information or to arrange a tour, contact:
EI/NRCCE Research Coordinator
NRCCE Interim Director / Energy Institute Director
A pdf version of this information can be found at this link.